The Anime Thread

We're underpowered but we're still better than you.
Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

The Anime Thread

Post by Xelissa » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:20 pm

Well, it was only a matter of time before an anime thread was made. I really enjoy anime and I'm often looking for a new series to devour. Post your recommendations (descriptions and personal ratings would be great!) or flamings here!

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:43 pm

My list (Sorted by rating)

Rating: 10/10 - "OMG will you have my children?"

*Chrno Crusade: My god. I love this anime - my favorite one ever. Nuns with guns and demons - does it really get any better? Nah, but seriously, the animation and art is beautiful, the storyline is intense with comedy spread throughout. Takes places in the Roaring '20s in the U.S. The main character is Rosette Christopher, a 16-year-old "nun" (I don't even think that the Japanese really even understand what a nun is supposed to be -_-) with a side-kick named Chrno that happens to be a devil. They work for a convent called the Magdalen Order that exorcises demons, but as the anime progresses a much deeper and intense plot is revealed.

Rating: 9/10 - "Simply amazing and stunning"

*Scrapped Princess: Great plot and beautiful animation and art. Takes place in a medieval-type setting (Feudal Japan). The main character is Pacifica, a 15-year-old girl that is destined to "destroy the world" when she turns 16. The series follows her and her older brother and sister, Shannon and Raquel, as they prevent people from killing Pacifica, the "poison that will destroy the world."

*Ah! My Goddess (Aa! Megami-sama!): Romantic comedy set in modern-day Japan. Okay, so call me a sap, but I adore Ah! My Goddess. Keiichi Morisato is a college student down on his luck when he gets a phone call from the Goddess Hotline (or whatever they're called). Belldandy, a powerful and benevolent goddess is sent to grant him one wish. Thinking it's the upperclassmen playing a trick on him, he wishes a goddess like her could be with him forever - and she grants it. The series follows their life together - except nothing is ever easy for them. Really sweet storyline - </emo>

*Chobits: Another romantic comedy. Takes place in modern-day Japan. Hideki Motasuwa has just found out he failed the college-entrance test, so he sets out from his family's farm to Tokyo to take classes so he can get into college. Immediately upon arriving in Tokyo, he notices persocoms - computers that are designed to look exactly like people (except their ears). Upon finding that there's no way he can afford one, he sadly goes home, and promptly stumbles upon a persocom thrown away in the trash. He takes her home, finds the on-switch and from there, the series takes off.

Rating: 8/10 - "Pretty damn good"

*Noir: Modern-day, various parts of the world (a lot in France). Centers around 2 female assassins, Miruyieu and Kikura that are hired to assassinate a variety of people. They are simply known as "Noir," a genderless assassin that's the best in the world. Can't really say more without giving the plot away.

*D.N. Angel: Romantic comedy, modern-day Japan. Focuses on the life of Daisuke, a somewhat dorky but sweet boy around 13-years-old. He finds out the hard way that men in his family have the unexpected pleasure of being host to the famous Phantom Thief Dark, a thief that steals cursed relics and renders them harmless. Unfortunately for Daisuke, Dark likes to come out at the most inconvenient times, particularly when Daisuke's love interest Risa Harada is around.

That's all I have at the moment.

Vincent
aelfborn fury

Post by Vincent » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:06 pm

Ok I got part of this one stuck in my head but I can't seem to remember what it was called...just want to know the name T_T

About a guy that use to be the #1 assassin but he has split personalitys one is the assassin and the other is nice...he doesn't want to kill anyone anymore so he uses a sword where the shard part is on the other side of the sword(think they called it a reverse blade). Anyone know?
I don't care what you are doing, so much
as the idiotic way that you are doing it.

Ostrich
1337+

Post by Ostrich » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:07 pm

Trigun: Mmmm, sexy blonde dudes with guns...and comedy, lots of comedy

I agree with Tally on AMG, I get all <emo> when I watch that too. :3

I'd post more but brain no worky today. Maybe tomorrow.
:>---O==={
Time falls away, but these small hours
These little wonders still remain

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:15 pm

Vincent wrote:Ok I got part of this one stuck in my head but I can't seem to remember what it was called...just want to know the name T_T

About a guy that use to be the #1 assassin but he has split personalitys one is the assassin and the other is nice...he doesn't want to kill anyone anymore so he uses a sword where the shard part is on the other side of the sword(think they called it a reverse blade). Anyone know?
Rurouni Kenshin?

Except I didn't think he really had split personalities 0.o

Vincent
aelfborn fury

Post by Vincent » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:46 pm

Thats the one!Thank you. Well I didn't really know how to explain it.
I don't care what you are doing, so much
as the idiotic way that you are doing it.

Sasado
aelfborn fury

Post by Sasado » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:40 am

I've watched quite the range of Animes. I'm gonna borrow Tally's format because it looks nice :) I won't include any animes that Tally already mentioned, as she covered the ones I like extreamely well. I will mark where I consider them though :p

Also, my descriptions of a series may seem a little vague. I appoligize for this but I dislike spoilers and rather be a little skimpy on details then reveal something which may spoil a part of the series for someone. Also, I suck at giving a synopsis ><

10/10 - This is a must see!

Cowboy Bebop: This is, by far, the best anime I have ever watched. The animation quality is great for its time and it is one of the only series I have watched that truly ends. Both the sub and dub are of excellent quality as well(which is rare). The series takes place on the Bebop, for the most part, and follows the adventures of Spike and Jet, though Spike is true focus of the series.

Death Note: This is a new series that started about 2-3months ago. Excellent visuals, great musical score, and a storyline that keeps you guessing. Only negative is that some episodes seem a little drawn out but the series is supposed to be 36 episodes long. Story surrounds Yagami Light and his discovery of the Death Note, a notebook used by Death Gods to determine when a person dies. Light decides to use the book to his own ends and becomes involved with L, an egnamic and highly skilled international detective due to his use of the book. I don't want to say much else without really ruining the first couple of episodes. This is a quick paced series, at least for the first 8 episodes or so. Then it slows down a bit since the base of the story is firmly established. Series is currently up to 13 episodes.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: This one is a love or hate relationship. I personally love it to death. A strong story with great production values for its time and voices that are great (as a sub). Sadly, the dub is horrid and the voices do not match up with the character personalities but this probably the only weak point, imo. The series takes place in Tokyo-3 and involves many characters, the main one being Shinji Ikari. While the series starts by focusing on the fight between the Angels and NERV, the true focus of the series is on character relationships and resolution of character dilemmas. This series IS a definite mind trip (especially near the end of the series) and is designed to leave you thinking, just some fair warning to you all :) Again, this is a love or hate series so...

9/10 - Definetly worth a try

Crono Crusade

Trigun: A serious comedy series. I love this type of series, even if the overarching storyline is predictable. The series focuses on Vash (Love and Peace!), the $$60,000,000,000 man, and his adventures on Gunsmoke. Several other characters join him and become main characters but are still there to evolve Vash and to help explore his past. Visuals are nicely done with few obvious areas where shortcuts were taken.

8/10 - Should be checked out

Ah! My Goddess (OVA Series)

Blue Seed: Good quality, dub not too bad but could have been better, and an omake theater at the end of every 4 episodes (oh how I love the omake theater)...sorry, back to the series. Again, a serious comedy series. The series is based off of Japanese mythology, the tale of the god Susanoo and the 8 headed monster Orochi no Orochi, and follows Momiji Fujimiya, the main character, as she comes to terms with her history and her fate. The series is set in modern day times.

Chobits

Serial Experiments Lain: Dark series...very dark imo. Subject matter can be disturbing, though I guess if you going to watch Eva then Lain won't effect you too much. This series is a definite twice through series, as you will find out if you watch it the first time. The series follows Lain through her finding out about "The Wired" and her interactions with friends and families. This series IS a definite mind trip and is designed to leave you thinking, just some fair warning to you all :)

7/10 - Good but could have been better

Lost Universe: This is another serious comedy series. I would be surprised if anyone here has watched this series. This is a fringe series that few know about. Production values start off strong but quickly show signs of reuse and flat out shortcuts in animation. Also, there is 3d modeling used for the starships which badly stands out but this partly due to this being a mid 90's series. The series follows Kain Blueriver, Canal Volfield, and Millie "Millennium" Feria Nocturneas as they go about their business in their ship, Sword Breaker. If you have watched Slayers (which I have not) this series has direct ties to Slayers (same creator for both series).

Naruto: Ya, I'm an idiot but I love this series (sub only, dub makes my soul cry). I do NOT really care for the main characters (Naruto, Sauske, and Sakura). My favorites is Rock Lee followed by Shikamaru. The production quality goes from absolutely fantastic to cutting corners and dropping quality. The biggest example I can think of is the fight just before the fillers started (eps 128-130). You can plainly see the differences between action and non-action scenes. Anyways, the series follows Naruto as he graduates from the Konaha Ninja Academy and his battles with other ninjas and himself. The series is comparable to DBZ in terms of sheer popularity but is quite different after that. As most people probably remember, DBZ had horrible sections where characters would spend an episodes "powering up" and screaming at each other (Ave so loves pointing this out to me). The reason was that the series caught up to the magna too quickly and had to fillout in the middle of an action area. Naruto is completely different. The series went up to eps 130 and was sufficently caught up that going further would lead to fillers in the middle of a story arc. So, it was decided to do 2 years worth of fillers. The new series starts Feb 15, 2007 and picks up the story after episode 130.

I'll add more tommarow. I should go to bed before Ave yells at me (1:40am CST) <.< >.>
Last edited by Sasado on Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
"When you've done things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - Futurama

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:48 am

Sasado wrote:
Ah! My Goddess (the first series, not the new one)
I like the new one =[. Supposedly it more closely follows the manga, rather than the OVAs which I found to be extremely boring. Or are you talking season 1 (Aa! Megami-sama!) as opposed to season 2 (Sorezore no Tsubasa)?

Nokturnal
Frenzy Spammer

Post by Nokturnal » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:11 am

Love Hina is a pretty good series.

Ostrich
1337+

Post by Ostrich » Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:28 am

Sasado wrote:Neon Genesis Evangelion: This one is a love or hate relationship. I personally love it to death.
No love for whiny little buttwipes like Shinji.
Sasado wrote:I'll add more tommarow. I should go to bed before Ave yells at me (1:40am CST) <.< >.>
I'm going to call you at 7am because of this. ><

Sasado
aelfborn fury

Post by Sasado » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:15 am

The OVA series. Main reason is that I haven't seen the new series yet :) I also have added some more to my main anime post.
"When you've done things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all." - Futurama

Ostrich
1337+

Post by Ostrich » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:48 am

Sasado wrote:(Ave so loves pointing this out to me)
When doing proper DBZ impressions one must bug their eyes out, flex their muscles, and do a growl/scream at the top of their lungs.

Jax
Worst Luck Ever with Video Games

Post by Jax » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:52 am

Fruits Basket: Definitely a very cute anime. I personally think the manga is better (mainly because it continues beyond the anime), but this series is still one of my favorites. Basically it's about a family that has a curse where they all turn into Zodiac animals when hugged by the opposite sex. Sounds ridiculous, but it's really a great series. And so adorable.

Fushigi Yuugi: Classic romance/humor anime. This one is a love or hate for a lot of people. If you can get past the annoying female lead, it's a really good series.

Rurouni Kenshin: Great series until they deviated from the manga. After that it sucked. It's got a bit for everyone: action, romance, humor. Definitely loved this one (until it sucked, which was basically after the Shishio arc).

Bleach: Love the manga, but I hate the translation of the anime, so I can't watch it. Soul reapers are way cooler than "Death Angels" or whatever they call them in the anime. >_<
Last edited by Jax on Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jax
Worst Luck Ever with Video Games

Post by Jax » Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:53 am

Avestar wrote:
Sasado wrote:Neon Genesis Evangelion: This one is a love or hate relationship. I personally love it to death.
No love for whiny little buttwipes like Shinji.
Completely agree. 100% agree. And Asuka needs to die. now. HATE.

Sasado
aelfborn fury

Post by Sasado » Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:41 am

In the english dub for Bleach, they are called Soul Reapers. Just so you know :)