BSoD while gaming

How do I turn my PC on??
Nokturnal
Frenzy Spammer

BSoD while gaming

Post by Nokturnal » Sat May 10, 2008 7:14 pm

I first started having this problem while playing the AoC beta. I figured it was just because the client wasn't stable. Then today, I was playing WoW for about 30 minutes or so and it crashed on me. What happens is that I would get a BSoD stating something about a clock interval was not received from the other cpu, then it performs a memory dump and restarts. One of the suggestions for AoC was to go into task manager, Set Affinity, and switch off one of the cores. That helped a little bit and allowed me to play AoC a bit longer, but the same problems occurred. I'm checking on the AMD forums to see if there are any suggestions there, but I wanted to see if you guys had any ideas as well. Anyways, here are my specs:

AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+
Asus M2N-SLI mobo
2x 1gig DDR2-800 PC6400 RAM
GeForce 8800 GT 1 gig
Windows Vista Home Premium 64

Thanks!

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Sat May 10, 2008 8:58 pm

at first I thought the topic said 'BDSM while gaming' -- which would have been... better?

I'd contact AMD, Asus, and IBP. Obviously, it's a CPU or mainboard problem.

If it isn't a known issue with the hardware, you could probably get some help from IBP. If it is a known issue with the hardware, there is likely a driver or firmware update to help.

good luck with the issue =\

Nokturnal
Frenzy Spammer

Post by Nokturnal » Sun May 11, 2008 11:09 pm

Alright so I've tried all kinds of stuff this weekend, other than checking the hardware. I've tried updating all my drivers, except the BIOS because I don't feel confident in doing so. I've tried checking temperature levels and that seemed normal. I tried running stress tests by using programs like Hot CPU Tester Pro and Everest. Didn't have any crashes with either of those. I can't test AoC anymore, since the beta just ended but it still crashes when I play WoW. Going to try and reinstall Vista tonight and hopefully that helps. I'm really hoping that it's not the mobo or CPU. Returning it will be a bitch.

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Sun May 11, 2008 11:24 pm

Make sure you have Service Pack 1 installed for Vista.

Nokturnal
Frenzy Spammer

Post by Nokturnal » Sun May 11, 2008 11:31 pm

I have Vista SP1. Here's the exact message that I get:

A clock interrupt was not received on a secondary processor

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Mon May 12, 2008 12:04 am

Reading through a bunch of articles I was able to find a number of potential issues... some of which you might be able to fix, some not:

Windows 64 bit isn't 100% yet, change it 32 and see how it runs.

In the BIOS, make sure the multiplier is below 10.5x, set it to 10, or lower. Test etc.

Update BIOS (pain in the ass, I'd almost rather send it in)

Odds are you've got a CPU problem though. Every person that had traded in their CPU for a new one said they had no new problems. So keep in mind that if one of these other fixes works, you may still have a semi-bad CPU (I'd call AMD and get their take on it when you get a chance).

Nokturnal
Frenzy Spammer

Post by Nokturnal » Mon May 12, 2008 1:29 am

I have a recovery disk from ibuypower. Will that have the 32 bit version of Vista on it even thought it came with 64 bit?

*edit* Going to pop the recovery disk in and reinstall Vista.

Chien

Post by Chien » Mon May 12, 2008 10:58 am

Have you tried the multicore processor driver from AMD? I was having some slowdown issues with my CPU until I installed it. Apparently there are a number of games that don't force both processors (multithreading), so it crashes because it overloads core 1.

Otherwise, I have no idea.

Nokturnal
Frenzy Spammer

Post by Nokturnal » Tue May 13, 2008 11:28 pm

Chien, are you talking about the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer? I tried to install it but it didn't do anything.

I did a clean install of Vista last night. Updated it with all the updates that Microsoft had, updated the video card drivers and then installed WoW. Ran wow today and it crashed, usually around 30 mins into the game. I'm going to bring it to the ibuypower office and just have them take care of it. I've done everything I can on my own. Thanks everyone for the tips and advice!

Nokturnal
Frenzy Spammer

Post by Nokturnal » Tue May 20, 2008 12:52 am

Just an update...

I took the computer to their office on Thursday morning. They tell me that it's the video card and that they'll replace it and test it. I pick it up this morning, before work. I pick up 2 gb of RAM on the way home. I get home, hook it up and start installing AoC. The computer crashes about 10 minutes into the installing. The computer had been up and running for around 15 minutes or so. I take out 2 gb of RAM, the old ones, and run WoW. 15 minutes into the game, I crash with the same message. So now I'm returning the computer for a refund. I'm not even going to try and repair it. I honestly have no idea what is wrong, and at this point, I could care less.

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Tue May 20, 2008 1:11 am

That really sucks Nok :| What's your plan?

Nokturnal
Frenzy Spammer

Post by Nokturnal » Tue May 20, 2008 1:34 am

After the refund, I'll probably build my own. If that doesn't work, then I have no one to blame but myself.

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Tue May 20, 2008 1:44 am

Not trying to be a know it all, but... when I looked up the error I saw for your computer there was one specific thing that each one had: an AMD multi-core processor. I mean, I can't say if that has anything to do with it, but you never know.

I'm a huge fan of building PCs from the ground up, so I wish you the best of luck. :)

Nokturnal
Frenzy Spammer

Post by Nokturnal » Tue May 20, 2008 3:31 am

I've always been a fan of AMD but my next computer will have an Intel CPU, that's for damn sure.

Albedo
set feyzors to stun

Post by Albedo » Tue May 20, 2008 7:31 am

Awww Nok. I'm really sorry to hear this. :( That really, really sucks.
The cake is a lie.