virus issues

How do I turn my PC on??
thehornfreak84
A hobo with dry elbows

virus issues

Post by thehornfreak84 » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:12 pm

My brother's computer has just recently been afflicted with serious pop-up programs. I have been blamed as I am the one mostly using it right now, though I haven't been doing anything I don't do on my compy and it works just fine. I guess he has shitty anti-virus software. Anybody have any FREE programs to help me clean up his computer's reg keys, processes, etc.? I know from past experience that most "free" virus removal programs only scan your comp and make you pay to have it removed. Any help would be nice.

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:25 pm

I use AVG Free (http://free.avg.com/) and not many complaints from me. It is damnably hard to disable (though not impossible), but the only reason you would want to disable it is for compatability issues with games (I've heard some games don't like running with it, but I haven't run into any yet). I've also heard that it might slow down your comp just a SMIDGE if you have a low end computer or a slow internet connection (it updates whenever you turn your computer on).

Give it a spin, though - it's worked well for me for a couple years, now!

If it's spyware or adware, I know that Tyler advocates Spybot Search and Destroy (http://www.spybot.com/en/index.html) and Adaware (http://www.lavasoft.com/?domain=adaxis.net).

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:15 pm

adaware, spybot, and make sure you use firefox 3. make sure it cleans up your registry.

Albedo
set feyzors to stun

Post by Albedo » Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:24 pm

I use AVG as well. The only game it gave me problems with was Bioshock and caused me problems. But they fixed the issue eventually.

Sucks to be the one blamed for the problems, though, don't it? My clueless parents always blamed the problems on Chris and me, even though they'd download anything that said 'download me.'
The cake is a lie.

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:29 pm

make sure you don't end up with two anti-virus programs installed.

(adaware and spybot are not anti-virus, they're anti-malware)

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:20 pm

I fuckin' hate antivirus software... often the solution is worse than the problem.

When I put together non-tech savvy folk's computers I use AVG.

Nokturnal
Frenzy Spammer

Post by Nokturnal » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:24 am

If you are having issues with pop-ups, then try using Adware and Spybots Search and Destroy. These two programs have worked for me in the past and I think they're still free.