hmm Civ4 and AVG?

How do I turn my PC on??
Lume
feral druid

hmm Civ4 and AVG?

Post by Lume » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:33 pm

Ok, has anyone ever experienced a store bought game messing with AVG like making it pop up a trojan thats not really there?

I bought Civilization 4 and what ive found is since i have to keep the disk in to play - whether im playing it at the time or not at around the same time everyday 7:15pm the disk will run for a few moments and the AVG resident shield will pop up saying its found a trojan - trojan horse SHeur2.BYD D.\DIAG.EXE C.\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe

Now ive scanned my whole pc with AVG, spyware, adaware and nothing comes up EXCEPT when i have the disk in and i scan the D drive it will come up.
When i try to remove them in the resident shield it says some files cant by healed D.\DIAG.EXE object(s) are located on an optical drive.

When i try to remove them there when the disk isnt in it says some files cant by healed D.\DIAG.EXE Item of that name doesnt exist in actual section.

I can empty my virus vault of these, but any time i click on my resident shield history they all come back dating all of that day.
The resident shield has 6 of them over the passed 3 days where as the virus vault now has about 25 probably from me popping up the history in the shield to look at it lol. Though when the disk isnt in they dont go back in the vault.

Hope someone can shed some light on this, or know a good forum where people might know.. I'm hoping its not and actual trojan and im gonna keep the game out of my drive around that time for today and see what happens.. sigh i hate pc puzzles like this!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming' WOO HOO, What a Ride

Lume
feral druid

Post by Lume » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:00 pm

sorry for the long winded post but i figured i'd explain everything as best i could.
I'm not really smart when it comes to pc problems :?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming' WOO HOO, What a Ride

Albedo
set feyzors to stun

Post by Albedo » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:19 pm

I had this very same problem with Bioshock and AVG. It's something to do with AVG and I'm not sure how to fix it. I ended up having to turn off AVG every time I wanted to play Bioshock ><

Can't really help, though, outside of that. :( It sucked! It actually destroyed my install and made it very, very difficult to uninstall/reinstall the game. I was pissed.
The cake is a lie.

Lume
feral druid

Post by Lume » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:50 pm

ohh i see! Well i can play the game no problem at all.. i just wanted to know if there was an actual trojan on my PC. So i guess ill just have to deal with seeing those trojans build up in my resident shield even thought theres no problem.
I still havent put the disk in since before 7:15 lol.. i will soon and see if does it at any other time.

So weird.. i wonder whats on it thats making it think there a virus

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:27 pm

I did some googling around, and you should be 100% ok Val.

The technical jargon: wmiprvse.exe is a windows run process that can be used to distribute trojans. Usually it's been replaced by a different executable and it usually gets caught when another executable calls it.

In your case, wmiprvse.exe is being called normally by Civ 4. This isn't common, so AVG probably doesn't have any cases which allow DIAG.exe to run wmiprvse.exe normally. So every time they are run you'll get your popup from AVG.

Normally this might be a cause for concern, but since DIAG.exe is running straight from your disc it's not really a red flag. If it was something installed on your hard drive and ran at say, startup, then it'd be worth investigating further.

So unless you start getting further warnings, you're good to go. Just close the pop-up and have fun. :) Yey Civ 4!

Lume
feral druid

Post by Lume » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:18 am

thankyou! I wouldnt have been able to research that enough to understand it hehe, but thats a relief. Nothing worse than thinking theres something wrong on your pc that you cant fix and may screw everything up. I keep it as clean as possible to avoid all those nasty critters. :)

ranger
protection warrior

Post by ranger » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:47 am

:) Well...fix the problem changing the antivirus. It's simple becouse avg makes some problems. I use an old version of antivirus kaspersky 7 I have no problem with it

shimdic
Yeah, I probably hate your team.

Post by shimdic » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:07 pm

Hey ranger, who might you be?

Gryson
aelfborn fury

Post by Gryson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:58 pm

Replace AVG with Microsoft Security Essentials. Its about the best free AV available at the moment.