TV purchase advice

How do I turn my PC on??
moui
card carrying atheist

TV purchase advice

Post by moui » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:29 pm

My dad is thinking about buying this TV for watching movies, TV shows, and sports games. He's found one on newegg that he thinks he likes, and I was hoping for some advice and/or input.

Here's the one in question:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6889005073

My main concern is: will he need a new DVD player, or will an older DVD player still work? I'm not up on what all the various interfaces are, and what's old and what's new.

Thanks!

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 pm

If it's an old old DVD player, it'll be a R (Red)/L (White)/Composite Video (Yellow) cable connection. There's only 1 on this HDTV, and commonly there will only be 1 on most.

If it's a not so old DVD player it will have component cables (Red/Green/Blue) plus audio (Red/White). In which case there are... 3? 2 that are HD capable and 1 that is standard. It won't matter which one he plugs it into, since DVDs aren't HD.

I'd say your Dad is good, unless he has multiple Composite TV appliances, or if he wants HD quality video. The TV looks awesome, it has tons of things your Dad will likely never use.

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks for the response, Rory!

One follow-up... you said:
I'd say your Dad is good, unless he has multiple Composite TV appliances, or if he wants HD quality video. The TV looks awesome, it has tons of things your Dad will likely never use.
What do you mean 'or if he wants HD quality video' -- is it that if he wants HD quality video he should get a different TV, i.e. the resolution for this TV isn't that good? Or that if he wants HD quality video the TV will be great and he can buy new peripherals?

Also, I want to clarify what you're implying with 'it has tons of things your Dad will likely never use' -- do you think it's overkill and he should be able to find something cheaper, or are you just offhandedly commenting that it's a very feature heavy TV?

Thanks again! I just want to make sure my dad gets something he likes!

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:34 pm

moui wrote:Thanks for the response, Rory!

Or that if he wants HD quality video the TV will be great and he can buy new peripherals?
This one!

It has the best potential resolution you can get, 1080p. It has a mediocre refresh rate (kind of like frames per second), but it's nothing anyone would notice unless they've got great eyes and know what they're looking for. DVDs are usually only 480i, HD television 1080i, and BluRay is the only true 1080p medium available, which is what I meant by that first part. You have to buy things to actually get any true HD upgrade.

I didn't mean to confuse with the "stuff Dad will never use" thing. I just meant it's got a ton of inputs and a whole lot of odd features that aren't really important, but add extra value. They're all standard HDTV features though.

This is an awesome TV that will look great and work very smoothly. 42 inches of LCD tv, even at a DVD standard 480i, looks awesome.

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:56 pm

okay, got it, thanks!