Stupid computer

How do I turn my PC on??
shimdic
Yeah, I probably hate your team.

Stupid computer

Post by shimdic » Wed May 05, 2010 2:24 am

Okay, I'm having a problem with my computer and certain programs. For example, I have Yahoo Messenger and anytime I sign in it immediately closes and says there is a problem. Same thing happens with other programs. I cannot connect YM directly to the internet, but I can connect through a HTTP proxy and it works perfectly fine, if that make any sense.

I might have screwed up my firewall or connection or something a while back, I was trying to rename my computer and I forgot what I messed with and renamed. I can try and figure out what I did if that would make any difference, but I don't get why these programs won't run on my computer!

Thanks y'all.

shimdic

Post by shimdic » Wed May 26, 2010 2:03 am

So, almost half the things I do on my computer instantly comes up as "<insert program> has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Skype, Yahoo Messenger, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome.

What's up? I'm not having a lot of luck finding a solution on my own.

Thanks

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Wed May 26, 2010 2:26 am

Could be your network card is configured wrong (or some other part of your network). Could also be virus/malware. Also that thing you said about renaming your computer maybe???

The easiest solution would be to reinstall windows, but I know that can be a pain if you don't have stuff backed up. Maybe try reinstalling your network card drivers, running a virus scan, checking your IPv4 settings.

Try this: go to "manage network connections" right click on your current network connection (LAN or WLAN) and hit properties.

Click on "Internet Protocol Version 4" and hit properties.

Make sure stuff is set to "Obtain automatically"

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Wed May 26, 2010 12:22 pm

time to reformat.

this is one of those cases where you're more likely to waste endless amounts of time figuring out the problem without finding a solution. best to just tell your computer that it has won this round, and start fresh.

Gryson
aelfborn fury

Post by Gryson » Wed May 26, 2010 7:05 pm

Do a system restore. What version of Windows?

shimdic

Post by shimdic » Wed May 26, 2010 9:06 pm

I have Vista 64 bit? It's been going on for a while. I renamed the network I think?

Gryson
aelfborn fury

Post by Gryson » Wed May 26, 2010 11:23 pm

Welp, I would try a system restore. Click Start and then just type System Restore. if you can find a restore point that may be before this started, great, if not, you may be back to just doing a reinstall.