Battleforge - Free to play

It's a card game... it's an RTS... omigosh, what IS it?
bluexy
BATMEOWN

Battleforge - Free to play

Post by bluexy » Tue May 26, 2009 3:32 pm

Battleforge now has a free2play option, yup, all of the game for free. You only get two decks, and you have to get a certain amount of experience before using certain sections, but the rest of the content is all open.

Linky

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Tue May 26, 2009 4:07 pm

From http://forums.battleforge.com/forum/sho ... p?p=101427
BattleForge Play4Free FAQs

Today is a big day for BattleForge - it's Play4Free title now! Please read the FAQs below -

What is BattleForge Play4Free?

* The BattleForge Play4Free Client, which you can download here, offers you complete access to all areas and functionality of the game, including all content updates (new PvP maps, Renegade Campaign) made available since release.

How do I install BattleForge Play4Free?

* First you must download the client. Double click on the BattleForgeInstal.exe file and follow the instructions on the screen. You start the game by running the Bootstrapper.exe file. You need to have an EA Account to start BattleForge. If you already have an account, you just need to give the account details in the corresponding field in the Bootstrapper. If you do not have an EA Account, you can select “Create Account” to open an EA Account.

What exactly does BattleForge Play4Free include?

* Along with all functionality of the game, BattleForge Play4Free includes two decks consisting of 32 cards. You can play any scenario in the game, including the Renegade Campaign. With BattleForge Play4Free, you are also able to purchase Booster Pack and bid on cards in the Auction House. However, you can only offer a card in the Auction House once you have reached level 4 in PvE and level 10 in PvP. Direct trades and sending in-game mail with attachments are also blocked until you reach this experience level.

Exactly which 32 cards does BattleForge Play4Free give me?

* You will receive 8 cards from each of the 4 powers of Frost, Shadow, Nature, and Fire:
* Frost: Master Archers, Northguards, Defense Tower, Glacier Shell, Defender, Tremor, Shield Building, Tempest
* Shadow: Nightcrawler, Ripper, Stone of Torment, Unholy Power, Mutating Frenzy, Shadow Insect, Rifle Cultitst, Unholy Hero.
* Nature: Windweaver, Werebeasts, Surge of Light, Primal Defender, Swamp Drake, Drones, Giant Wyrm, Regrowth.
* Fire: Fire Stalker, Firebomb, Lava Field, Magma Hurler, Magma Spores, Emberstrike, Fire Sphere, Rageclaws.

What’s the difference between this and the demo version?

* In the demo version you could only play a small number of maps. On top of that you could not buy more cards or trade cards with other BattleForge players. These restrictions have been removed and the BattleForge Play4Free replaces the demo version.

Does BattleForge Play4Free include BattleForge Points?

* No. BattleForge Play4Free includes all game content, but it does not include any BattleForge Points. The points you can get either by trading with other players, or you can purchase them from BattleForge.com or the EA Store.

Previously I could purchase the BattleForge “box“ in retail shops. What happens to this product now?

* You can still purchase the BattleForge Box, but now it effectively functions as a point box. You can redeem the code on the box in the in-game market to receive 3000 BattleForge Points and the 64 cards of the four starter decks.

Can I redeem multiple codes from BattleForge Boxes on one account?

* The codes are stackable. This means that each time you enter a code from a BattleForge Box, you receive not only the 3000 points, but you also receive the 64 cards from the starter decks in your virtual collection.

What is the recommended retail price of the box?

* The recommended retail price is 30 Euros.

What will happen to the BattleForge Point Box?

* The BattleForge Point Box containing 2000 + 250 BattleForge Points und and poster remains unchanged. As before, it is available in retail shops.

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Tue May 26, 2009 4:10 pm

If you try out the Play4Free version, this is the deck comp that has been suggested by experienced players: http://bfcards.info/search.php?i=deck&i ... 1740362049
A few comments on the deck: I went with Nature Era 1 because Windweavers are just the best all around unit to start with in PVE. They have a strong attack and can hit multiple targets at once. Era 2 is Fire, since Rageclaws and Fire Stalker are more generally useful than Ripper and Nightcrawler. Fire Era 2 also gives the nice spell Lava Field. For Era 3, I chose Shadow, picking up a couple of useful Era 2 cards at the same time (Stone of Torment and Unholy Power). Era 3 also gives the very useful Magma Hurler, Magma Spores, Drones for taking on Large units, and Swamp Drakes for XL units and hit-and-run attacks.

The deck is heavy on Era 4 units, since in PVE, Era 4 is often the most important. With a Frost orb as 4th, you can pick up all the Era 4 cards available except Fire Sphere, since it requires 3 Fire orbs.

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Tue May 26, 2009 5:40 pm

>< sure glad I already bought it!

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Tue May 26, 2009 8:37 pm

O.o I <3 my MotK, Wheel of Gifts, Timeshifter Spirit and Deepcoil! If I hadn't bought the retail version, I wouldn't have them and that would make me sad!