Permanent Talismans

Stunties was smahsed
Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Permanent Talismans

Post by Xelissa » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:05 pm

You guys have been asking about how to get permanent talismans - well, now that I finally hit 200 talisman-making (and 200 magical salvaging, of course) I finally headed on over to the talisman/salvaging forums to find out. Here is how most people are making permanent talismans:

1. Buy purple renown gear from the renown merchant all the way south in the IC. These are 12g each.

2. Salvage it. If you're lucky you'll get a purple shard, but it seems that it's VERY UNLIKELY that you will get a purple shard unless you salvage for WOUNDS. This is why permanent wounds talismans are so common.

3. If you've gotten a purple fragment, your chances are looking better at making a purple talisman, but it's not for sure - and you can still make a purple talisman from a blue shard. When you craft for permanent talismans, you craft for 676+, or 700+. This means that the level of all the items adds up to beyond 676. ALWAYS use epic curios and green essences if you have 'em.

So, if you guys want me to try to crank out some permanent talismans, this is what I need from people:

* PURPLE curios (150+ skill level)
* 200 skill level essences, and 150+ GREEN essences
* MAILED IN-GAME REQUESTS WITH MONEY - Send 12g with what stat you want. Please keep in mind again that it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get permanent talismans for anything other than WOUNDS. It's extremely likely, especially if you request anything other than wounds, that you will be receiving a BLUE talisman (probably +15 stat/ 5 days).
* I will mail back the resulted talisman in return

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:06 pm

Thanks tally -- and blue talismans sound good regardless. I'll be making a request when a slot opens up from expiration.

+15 tgh, here I come!

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:14 pm

Are the purples just perm +15s?

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:16 pm

bluexy wrote:Are the purples just perm +15s?
I think purples are +19

edit: I also think that the success rate must be bugged one way or another. We'll likely (eventually) see +19s of other stats more common in the future (or +19 wounds less common :()

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:20 pm

Here's a quote from a TM thread:

so far i got out of about 20 invader gloves 2 epic frags, 1 int and 1 wp...(..and loads of wounds out of even much more gloves)

i just dont know what to do with my money ingame

btw im not selling the perma stuff. i buy invader gloves, salvage them if i get an epic frag it goes to friends or me, out of the blues frags i make 16/5d talis and sell them for about 14/15g...
so the chance for non-wounds purples (calculated from an admittedly small data set) seems to be 1/10, or an average of 1 per 120g.

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:34 pm

I've seen people talk about in 500 attempts they got 3-5 purple non-wounds talismans. Not sure how many fragments they got. Permanent non-wounds talismans market for 150-200g a piece =/.

Permanent talismans are +18 or +19, depending. Most of the time they are +19, but if you screw up your added crap (lower than adding up to 675), you'll probably get a +18.

+20s ARE possible, but they are EPIC. So basically you have to get a purple and then CRITICALLY succeed. Very, very, very, very rare. VERY.

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:37 pm

So a purple item can yield a fragment of any stat? It's just a random one?

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:40 pm

bluexy wrote:So a purple item can yield a fragment of any stat? It's just a random one?
when you salvage an item, you select from a list of the item's bonuses which you want to salvage. tally will need to buy SH epics in order to salvage ballistic skill.

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:08 pm

When you magical salvage an item you get a clunky little pop-up box that asks which of the inherent bonuses of the item you want to salvage, limited to stats and resists (ap regen, morale regen, special inherents like that cannot be salvaged). There is no limit to the number of bonuses that pop up in this list, but you can only salvage the item for ONE of those, and then it's gone. You can also fail at your salvage attempt, which means it only yields essences and no fragment.

A purple item does NOT always equal a purple fragment. You can get blue, purple, or orange, I believe. You can critically salvage, meaning you get a fragment that is BETTER than the item you salvaged, but it is extremely rare. I think I've only done this once or twice, possibly. It's pretty frequent that you will salvage one below the rarity of the item. For example, I usually get green fragments out of blue items. So I'm assuming that it's very common to get blue fragments out of purple items.

From what I've been reading it looks like it's easier to get purple wounds fragments out of purple gear than purple anything-else fragments. It's possible, though, that it's not as hard to get those purple fragments, but it's harder to get the purple talisman out of the purple fragment - but from my experience with talisman-making, I'm betting on the former. Who knows why wounds is easier - bugged rate, mayhap. Hopefully they don't nerf wounds down to the rest of them and instead buff up the rest of them to the current rate of wounds ><.