Stunties was smahsed
Albedo
set feyzors to stun

Update on Open RvR

Post by Albedo » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:36 pm

Pretty good changes coming in 1.1!! :D

Here's the link.

Folks,

Over the last few months I’ve spoken about our continued focus on improving our open RvR systems. While we have taken some major steps in the last month, we believe that there is much more we can do to encourage people to take part in oRvR throughout the entire evolution of their character(s). Over the next few months we have some very exciting changes and additions taking place. Please note that as always, this does not represent everything that either we are doing or thinking about doing, just what we, as of now, plan on adding to WAR.

We have a number of major initiatives planned for oRvR in WAR. Please keep in mind that these changes/systems apply to oRvR only and not to scenarios. This is not all we are working on but these do reflect the majority of oRvR additions that we are currently working on/planning for the next few months.

First, we have created an RvR Influence system. This system is designed to reward our oRvR players with lots of new stuff that you can only get through oRvR. This will be a complimentary system to our PQ Influence system. This system is already implemented in 1.1 and is scheduled to go LIVE along with that version in December.

Second, we want to improve the visibility that players have into oRvR and make it easier for players to get involved in the action quickly and easily. We have a number of wide-ranging changes going into our map and travel systems to allow players to better understand the state of oRvR in our game and also allow them to get to the action faster. We have already taken one step with putting a Rally Master in each Warcamp but we will also add the ability for people to have a second bind point to make it even easier for players to move around the maps. We will also make it easily for players to see where players from their Realm are engaging in oRvR, a Campaign HUD for all tiers and other improvements We will also improve Tier-wide messaging about what is going on in Battlefield Objectives and Keeps. Other additions include changes to the UI, in-game manual improvements, map enhancements, and a few other changes.

Third, we want to provide greater incentives to players to participate in oRvR. In order to accomplish this we will be adding additional layers to the questing system of oRvR including the addition of Keep Quests, “Daily Event Quests”, Chained RvR Missions, improve the initial Tome Unlocks and other oRvR-oriented Events. We will also improve our BO itemization. Our goal is to provide players with even more incentive for participating in oRvR than we have already.

Fourth, we want to encourage guilds to take and control keeps, and we will continue our work on adding better rewards for Guilds who own Keeps as well as the addition of a system of Keep upgrades. This system will be added to the game in several stages beginning in the late winter.

Finally, we will begin work on a global oRvR “Fame” system that will be tied directly to the Tome of Knowledge which will provide more rewards, titles, experience, etc. for participating and being successful in oRvR. This system will provide even more incentives for people to participate in oRvR than the current systems and one that fits nicely both with the ToK’s concept as “This is your life” as well as an additional advancement and reward system.

Please keep in mind that these additions are subject to change and given the nature of these changes/improvements, they will not go LIVE until we have thoroughly tested them. However, these are crucial improvements to WAR and are being treated as such by the team.

Finally, I want to close this out with a brief explanation about the role that we believe that oRvR should play in WAR. It’s really as simple as this, oRvR should be a major focus for leveling, item gain, etc. in WAR. Some of the systems are already in place and in Tier 4, oRvR is alive and well. On other Tiers, however, oRvR is not being engaged in as often as we had hoped when we launched WAR. Our goal is to ensure that oRvR is the place where players can level the fastest, get the best items and overall, have a great time while doing it. It is supposed to be riskier, more challenging but ultimately, more rewarding than any other place within WAR. What is outlined in this letter are some of the ways we plan on making this happen over the next few months and beyond.

As always, we thank you for your patronage and support. We won’t let you down.

Mark Jacobs
VP/GM Mythic Entertainment
The cake is a lie.

shimdic
Yeah, I probably hate your team.

Post by shimdic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:46 pm

I hope they are also working on stability. The Maw attack was so laggy that it makes me not want to do it again until it runs a little bit better.

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:24 pm

Sounds good. I'll really be interested to hear more specific details since his statements were a little general, but I'm sure that's just because it's in the beginning conceptualizing stages.

I hope they somehow make it so Order won't get screwed by these changes. If there is more incentive for ORVR then you can bet that more destro will be interested in it than order. I really think the approach that LOTRO is taking with the Ettenmoors could be considered for WAR. In the Ettenmoors (the PVP zone) now after the release of Mine of Moria, there's a program that checks the number of Freeps (the "Good Guys") against the number of Creeps (the "Bad Guys"). If it sees an imbalance enough to make a difference, it gives the underdog side bonuses. These bonuses increase depending on how outnumbered that side is. They decrease or disappear depending on how even the sides are. It's constantly being run and checked. Also if there's an imbalance, the overpopulated side will not be able to participate in quests that enable you to get elite mobs for your side (Rangers for Freeps and Trolls for Creeps).

I really think idea-wise LOTRO has some great concepts that should be adapted into most MMOs. This is a great system in my opinion. Another great system they implemented awhile back is that bosses in difficult content (6-person instances and raids) drop quest items that any class can turn in for their class' set pieces. No more useless loot that nobody can use. How has no one thought of this before? WAR already has customized quest loot - now let's just take it one step further!

Snakes
protection warrior

Post by Snakes » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:02 pm

I really feel that they are approaching the problem from an incorrect angle. All the benefits should be for holding keeps, not for taking them. People would fight over keeps and actually defend them if the keep was worth having. System they have right now where order and destro take the same keep back and forth unopposed is an embarrassment for a PVP game. Adding more incentives to take the same keep back and forth is not really fixing anything.
And to be honest, I don't really get what everyone's obsession with open RVR is. I really have no interest in zerg vs zerg lagfest, i will take scenarios with more or less equal teams any day over it, at least i can actually cast spells there and they do something instead of showing up a the keep when the inner door gets blown to see if i can roll a thousand.

poepoe
protection warrior

Post by poepoe » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:22 pm

The number 1 reason why I play my SH more than my WE is that the WE is nigh useless in oRVR. The fewer people there are in a battle, the better the WE is.

The way keeps are right now, I'm usually relegated to guarding the postern door or skulking around the paths leading up to the keep and killing reinforcements. Maybe this would be better if Pick Lock worked.

And Snakes, they are adding incentives for holding a keep. It's his fourth point.

shimdic
Yeah, I probably hate your team.

Post by shimdic » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:43 pm

Mythic did a good job in Dark Age of Camelot with the Open RvR aspect. You would need to have so many towers and keeps to get access to an open dungeon that had some awesome loot. Then you had relics you would hold onto that gave your side nice bonuses like more experience points and even melee and magic damage.

I agree with Snakes, right now I'd be more than happy to let Order take a keep so we can take it back and get some gold bags. The game has only been out a few months and it should get better.

Snakes
protection warrior

Post by Snakes » Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Poe, I saw that but first of all he's talking about keep being controlled by a guild rather than a realm and also i don't feel that the benefits he has in mind are what is required. The main underlying problem in RVR is loot and you just can't have the act of taking a keep as a loot generator because it encourages back and forth trading as opposed to holding. It should be something along the lines of "as long as order controls this keep, this PQ is active and the gold bags in the PQ drop this set piece". The above is just a raw idea and i hate it myself because it mixed pvp with pve, but they need to really start thinking in that direction. It should be "i have a better chance to have this set piece because we control these keeps" instead of "we will not defend this keep so they can take it and they can take it back and maybe my set piece will drop"

Also, the contribution system really has to be fixed , it's completely broken.

Snakes
protection warrior

Post by Snakes » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:01 pm

By the way, here's how keep contribution works right now:

http://www.warhammeralliance.com/forums ... p?t=190135

Basically, it's a random roll on zoning in.