So did anyone notice, Steam + Guild Wars now?

We play a free online game =O
mauirixxx
feral druid

So did anyone notice, Steam + Guild Wars now?

Post by mauirixxx » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:00 am

for the Steam lovers / haters in all of us - http://store.steampowered.com/app/29570/

I guess it was bound to happen. Steam is quickly becoming the Microsoft of gaming, who knows if that's a good or bad thing.

I wish I could link my current GW account to my Steam account. But alas, that would be too convenient.

All that would be left is to get my BF2 acocunt tied in, and I'd be set. L4D, Bf2, CS Source / 1.6, and GW .... TOO HOT.
- rixxx
BF2: (*)(*) mauirixxx
GW: Rickalis Tu Rivers
[build name="100 Blades Spiker" prof=W/Mo str=12+3+1 swords=12][Power Attack][Hundred Blades][Savage Slash][Sever Artery][Gash][Galrath Slash][Final Thrust][Optional][/build]

shimdic
Yeah, I probably hate your team.

Post by shimdic » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:46 pm

I kind of like Steam. They have World of Goo, which is such a good game. They also have some really good deals, which is nice, too.

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:45 pm

I was wondering about that... we can't activate GW on Steam? It would be a handy way to download it in the future.

I wonder what kind of implications this has for future ArenaNet games... think Guild Wars 2 will be integrated with Steam?

mauirixxx
feral druid

Post by mauirixxx » Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:02 pm

Official response from NCnet is that Steam is merely an official reseller of GW - that's it.

NCsoft maintains their own content servers, and it's ridiculously easy to get GW from NCsoft anyways, it's just too bad NCsoft servers don't download as fast as Steam servers do.

To do account integration would require a HUGE amount of trust between databases @ both NCsoft and Valve.

Maybe it's better they aren't integrated - imagine this - Steam goes down for updates, and Steam users with integrated GW accounts suddenly can't play because Steam is down - even though NCsoft's database and servers are still up.

Sucks for that guy :P

Still, it could be done, but I imagine it would take a rather large retooling of GW's source code ... or not, I don't know :P
- rixxx
BF2: (*)(*) mauirixxx
GW: Rickalis Tu Rivers
[build name="100 Blades Spiker" prof=W/Mo str=12+3+1 swords=12][Power Attack][Hundred Blades][Savage Slash][Sever Artery][Gash][Galrath Slash][Final Thrust][Optional][/build]

Albedo
set feyzors to stun

Post by Albedo » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:21 am

I love Steam. I used to hate it, especially when it first came out. But now I love it. It takes some of the awesome aspects of consoles and the awesome aspects of PCs and creates a great community. Love it!
The cake is a lie.