Dragon Age books?

NEEDS MORE ALISTAIR
bluexy
BATMEOWN

Dragon Age books?

Post by bluexy » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:57 pm

Anyone checked out the Dragon Age prequel The Stolen Throne? They've just announced another called ... err titled The Calling. Though this is the first I've heard about either of them I'm definitely intrigued and curious!

So heard anything about the first book? Friend read it? Worth reading?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxlGP26_HlU[/youtube]
Last edited by bluexy on Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:01 pm

Tally has The Stolen Throne; maybe she'll post her opinion later. From what I gather, it's interesting for sure but not amazing.

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:54 am

The Stolen Throne was okay. Terry bought it for me for a present. The plot is nothing that hasn't been done a million times and often better, but if you're interested in Dragon Age lore, it's a worthwhile read. Some of the characters are kind of cool, and there are definitely some neat cultures in it (Legion of the Dead and the Dalish Elves, for instance). I'll definitely have some super geeky moments playing Dragon Age where I'll be like "<gasp> this is where blah blah blah happened! This guy did blah blah blah in the book!" I'll probably pick up the next book eventually and read that as well for the lore.

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:56 pm

Lore is so delicious. I was having a conversation with Tom yesterday about Dragon Age and your experiences with the "meh"ness of the book. We compared Dragon Age: Origins and its book to KOTOR. Kotor = sexy game with sexy lore about a series of "meh" movies (plotwise--Star Wars LORE is where its at). I feel similarly about LoTR--cool universe, books a little boring.

It shows us that if the lore is developed, it lends itself well to games and spin-off books. One can roleplay and make new stories if the cultures and environments are totally awesome and developed.

Albedo
set feyzors to stun

Post by Albedo » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:21 pm

I'd think the biggest problem with the prequel books would be a severe lack of Alistair. ;)

a RPG company was supposedly working on a PnP rulebook for Dragon Age. Haven't see/heard anything about it since the initial announcement, though. I'd think it'd make a good setting.
Last edited by Albedo on Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The cake is a lie.

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:37 pm

STORYTELL FOR US TERRY