HAPPY DRAGON AGE DAY!

NEEDS MORE ALISTAIR
manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:12 pm

PS: In hard battles, I've become a healbot. Is that okay?

I really want to know how others are choosing skills. I went with healing, electricity, and arcane for my skill selections--it's been working out quite well. An area effect cone, two strong single-target attacks so I don't have a cooldown issue, and arcane shield for defense/heal for potion conservation.

I don't know exactly which direction I'm going, just doing what feels right. I do have a severe issue with not having enough mana which is why I end up healbotting a great deal of the time. There is a line of spells that returns/steals mana but i don't want to be spread too thin.

I really hope that herbalism helps, as I'd love to craft a shit-ton of mana pots. If needed, I'll stock pots like a whore--that's totally my bag in RPGs.

Any thoughts?

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:27 pm

Guess what time it is, folks? Re-roll time :(

I wish there was an in-game respec, lol

Albedo
set feyzors to stun

Post by Albedo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:33 pm

I don't think you're going to finish this game... ;p. Haha I'm glad I don't care how my character ends up or I'd probably go crazy. xD
The cake is a lie.

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:38 pm

I want my main to have the most micromanaged set and i want the other mages to have a more set-and-forget set. Currently it'll be the other way around with my spell set so I'm thinking that since I'm only level 6 it would be better to start over now. I can move quickly since I don't have to spend a lot of time on storying.

Albedo
set feyzors to stun

Post by Albedo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:55 pm

Makes sense and best to do it now.
The cake is a lie.

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:46 pm

I figured out a way to POSSIBLY play a mage and have it so I can play on normal difficulty without slamming my head through a desk.

ENTROPY :D

I'm going the CC/spell combo route. Drain life/mana with improved drain, CC a ton of targets so they cause no issues for my beautiful alastair, stock up on heals and regens, and spike with horrors and crushing prisons.

I was going for a tanking ele mage but that seems to work better with an AI because it's more general. While I love shocking a ton of enemies in a cone, I'd prefer the survivability of CC/heals while my warriors kill stuff.

Albedo
set feyzors to stun

Post by Albedo » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Btw you never responded to my text T_T
The cake is a lie.

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:08 pm

I'm bad at texting at school.

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:40 pm

Paralyze is my favorite.

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:05 pm

manekineko wrote:I want my main to have the most micromanaged set and i want the other mages to have a more set-and-forget set. Currently it'll be the other way around with my spell set so I'm thinking that since I'm only level 6 it would be better to start over now. I can move quickly since I don't have to spend a lot of time on storying.

I know that the character you made is important, but your other party members basically are an extension of you. Does it really make a difference if you end up micromanaging Morrigan or Wynne more than your main? To me, it doesn't... I micromanage whoever needs it. Sometimes it's my main because I want to do an ice spell + crushing prison combo, sometimes its the tank in the front lines than needs to move so my mage can cast Cone of Cold, sometimes it's my archer that for some for-god-knows-what-reason is meleeing instead of shooting! My party IS me, and the main I created is just what defined who I should pick to be in that party.

Also remember that the ally health < x% --> cast heal tactic is your friend. I think it's defaulted to SELF and not ALLY when you first get it, which is annoying.

My mage so far is going Ice line, Telepathy/Telekinetic, and a little bit of healing splashed in. Not really going for core Primal Set for example. And fuck, Cone of Cold + Crushing Prison is awesome! And Mind Blast... hell YES. And Frost Weapons from Morrigan and TK weapons from my mage? YEEESSSS. Double weapon effects!!!!1111

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm finding it realllly nice that I don't have to micromanage my main, Blusi the Tank. I can set him where he needs to be and then mess with the details I need my party to perform. It feels more like he's my commander and while he's tanking he's barking orders back at the team.

I love my blusidwarf!

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:01 pm

See, I did absolutely no research at all going into the game. That would be a fine approach for basically anyone, but I'm a min-maxer. Now that I know all of the spell combos and effects and I've experienced what is and isn't important in the Dragon Age gameplay, I realize now that I would've been better off making an entropy character to accompany a character that utilizes grease/fire or has the cold/earth combination for slowness and shattering. Right now I'm a ridiculous mishmash of electric, arcane, healing (with skills that function differently than I expected that I wish I didn't have). If I reroll, I can make my main what I want him to be. I'd rather focus on him most of the time. I do manage everyone in the group but for the number of skills in the set that I'd like to utilize, it really should be him with the entropy/spirit set that I'm planning.

I know it seems ridiculous, especially considering the fact that you can play everyone in your party as much as your main or more; it might even make MORE sense to have someone like morrigan have entropy. I don't have her yet and I don't know what skills she comes with, but knowing that she'll come with stuff already makes me think that I'd rather have my main have entropy stuff anyway.

I'm having a lot of problems programming tactics into the ai. getting you or others on vent to help me through that would be AWEEEEESOME at a point.

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:07 pm

My mage so far is going Ice line, Telepathy/Telekinetic, and a little bit of healing splashed in. Not really going for core Primal Set for example. And fuck, Cone of Cold + Crushing Prison is awesome! And Mind Blast... hell YES. And Frost Weapons from Morrigan and TK weapons from my mage? YEEESSSS. Double weapon effects!!!!1111
None of these combinations came to me. The combination of spells I have usually leads to either us winning BARELY because I expended a shit ton of mana to completely turn the tides of the battle, at least half of the people die in battle while alastair maintains shields and scrapes by for a victory while I helplessly hit shit with a staff while completely out of mana, or party wipes when there are more than 3 creatures. That is sad and wrong and leads me to believe that I should be going at this differently. Nobody likes a mage that casts lightning twice and then has no mana left over for very necessary healing.

Currently, heal is the spell that I use to have persistent victories. Using any other spells leads me to no mana which leads to at least 1 death.

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:10 pm

ps, i found out that there is a male character that i can romance with my main. unfortunately it's not alastair :(

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:07 pm

manekineko wrote:ps, i found out that there is a male character that i can romance with my main. unfortunately it's not alastair :(
I think he might be an elf... :\