Grouping: A Discussion (Please read before other stickies)

Thorog ate our fingers :[
Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Grouping: A Discussion (Please read before other stickies)

Post by Xelissa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:37 am

THE GROUPS:

1. The Jackie Group: Jackie, Terry, Tyler, Tally (Late 30's)
2. The Matt Group: Matt, Terry, Tyler, Tally (Fresh-rolled)
3. The Mompas Group: Mompas, Terry, Tyler, Tally (Fresh-rolled)
4. The High-End Group: Terry, Tyler, Tally, Rory, Nok
5. The Jeff (and Jon?) Group: Jeff, (Jon?), Terry, Tyler, Tally
(6. The Jon Group?)

THE DISCUSSION:

Okay, I know that several of us are trying as hard as possible to make it so no one is stuck playing alone in this game this time around. But for that to happen, we need to hammer down some rough guidelines and playing times so we can coordinate. We have several different groups going due to levels, play-time restrictions, etc, so I feel that we need to get a little more organized so things don't blow up and end up exactly where we don't want them to.

I'm going to make separate threads for the different groups I see right now. Feel free to post specific information in the groups that you are participating in. This thread is for a discussion about grouping in general.

I'm feeling that most people want to play with at least a couple other people. The problem is that the people that they want to play with have different schedules than them and some of them might be participating in other groups as well. To avoid conflict, these are some topics/guidelines I wanted to discuss.

1. If you want to level/do things with the same people and you want to always have people who are doing the same things you need to do, I find what works best is to not progress a whole lot level wise, or chapter-wise when those people are not available. When one or two of the people are available, but not the entire group the same thing goes. My reason for this is that if you start going off doing a bunch of quests and progressing in the chapters without those people, soon you'll find yourself in the awkward position of being too far ahead of the people you were grouping with to do anything with them, but too far behind other characters or other people. Then you're stuck playing by yourself, which is what we want to avoid. There are several other things you can do in LOTRO that won't advance you too far past your fellow groupmates, such as trait-grinding, crafting, farming, or alt-playing. I understand that people are anxious to progress (I know how you feel), but if we really want to make this work EVERYONE has to give something up.

2. Different Groups: Terry, Tyler, and I are all trying to participate in groups with Jackie, Matt, and Mompas each. In order to play with all these people who have different schedules, I want to ask that you be patient and understanding if we aren't playing with you at the moment, even if you're around. Please know that we want to play with all of you, but we can't be in two different groups at once if it happens that two of you are on at once and not around the same level range.

I'm sure I'll think of other things, but I'll end it there. I am not trying to create the ultimate law here - I want people's input! What are your thoughts?
Last edited by Xelissa on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

shimdic
Yeah, I probably hate your team.

Post by shimdic » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:49 am

Ooooooh, I get a group. I think when I get back I will try and play with Jon and whoever else would like to join us. Jon plays a lot more since relocating to a way better time zone. :D

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:10 am

I'm just hoping that some of these statics come together after a while. Having 6 different groups is overwhelming!

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:18 am

One thing I forgot to mention is that if you don't WANT your own group and you want to do your own thing (level on your own and group when it works with other people), feel free to state it. If you outlevel your group too far, the group will probably assume this is the route you have taken.

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:25 am

derrick wrote:I'm just hoping that some of these statics come together after a while. Having 6 different groups is overwhelming!
6 people per party :\

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Well, I've thought more about this, so let me say this:

I'm going to go on a limb and say that we might combine the mompas/matt group. Mompas and I are on around the same times. Maybe he plays less, so maybe it's a terrible idea.

I know jeff and jon are in a different time zone, but I might be able to play with them too.

I just don't want this to polarize us so I'm not playing with other people around my level--I know that that isn't the intention. Just realize that my re-rolled character is my main; I'm afraid that I might end up gaining more levels than your "matt characters" despite the fact that I want a static.

So what do we do? I mean, I might just roll a bunch of alts for other groups since playing with others is the most important thing to me, but I'd still have the never-reaching-end-game issue.

/selfish rant

Jax
Worst Luck Ever with Video Games

Post by Jax » Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:41 pm

Just realize that my re-rolled character is my main; I'm afraid that I might end up gaining more levels than your "matt characters" despite the fact that I want a static.

So what do we do? I mean, I might just roll a bunch of alts for other groups since playing with others is the most important thing to me, but I'd still have the never-reaching-end-game issue.

/selfish rant
The rerolled/fresh rolled character for other people are also their mains. You're not the only person who is starting from the beginning, so it's not like the whole guild is going to be doing dungeon runs without you. Jon, Jeff, and Mompas all have fresh characters, and Jon, Jeff and I don't even have characters that are max from the first round of LOTRO. You are not alone, so you don't need to panic that you need to catch up at all.

I think that since people are offering to play with you, you should probably not out level them. You had a crappy time in LOTRO last time because you had to play by yourself, so I don't see why you'd want to set yourself up to have to solo. Again. You said yourself that playing with others is the most important thing, and people have already said they'd play with you, so if what you said is true, I would take them up on it. Tally already said:
I understand that people are anxious to progress (I know how you feel), but if we really want to make this work EVERYONE has to give something up.
You can't really have it both ways...you either stick with the static (and enjoy the game) or solo.

I'm planning on rolling an alt to play solo/with other groups when I can't play in my static group. I think this is the best way to play even when your static isn't the active one in the game. Plus, you can always grind traits or feats or whatever they are, or try out monster play or craft. There's tons of stuff to do when it's not your turn.

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:26 pm

Fair. You're completely right.

Maybe I should make a captain alt. Healing + being able to solo = yay!

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:42 am

There are also other ways that the groups can work out. For example, if Matt finds himself with a lot of spare time when people aren't around and not very much when people are, maybe the Matt group could decide to do easy quests not as a group and let their group know what quests they did/where they got to so the other members can catch up. Then for the times you all are around, you could arrange to do some of the difficult chapter quests together, provided that you are all on the same step - which should be doable as long as you stay coordinated.

A key thing to keep in mind with a system like this, though, is to check in and make sure that your other party members are keeping pace, and slowing down or stopping if they fall too far behind. This is another perfectly plausible way for your group to go about things and to make sure that you always have people to do the difficult stuff with, but there needs to be an extra amount of communication.

Oh, and about the groups, Matt. I placed Jon and Jeff in a different group because as far as I know they won't be playing until January 15th (or so?) or even later if they plan to continue WAR. I didn't think you'd want to wait that long to level up your Minstrel. As for Mompas, I haven't seen you and Mompas around at the same time recently, so at the moment I thought it best to make two different groups. I'm not saying that these groups can't combine later, but just what they are now - unless people want to change them, or if I'm wrong (always a possibility =D)

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:23 am

to be honest, I think I'll roll an alt and play the alt with mompas' group and derreck with jackie's group. Jackie's got it right, progress in the game really isn't as imprtanv (<--omg, I love my anti-t key laptop.) to me as playing with other people.

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:13 pm

I'm confused - are you giving up on your new minstrel, or do you just want to play it solo, and therefore do not want people to play with your minstrel?

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:53 pm

Basically Jackie schooled me, and she's right. No worries people, I'm not upset! <3
Posted by Jackie, and not Matt: Haha that's good, because I was pretty sure I'd piss you off when I posted and was hoping it wouldn't happen. :-)

Albedo
set feyzors to stun

Post by Albedo » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:48 am

I posted in the High Content discussion, but I'm pretty much free anytime during the week until around 8 PST. So, whenever the people we're being static with are free should usually work for me.

I think Tally did a great job starting it, let's continue with the individual group discussions so we can get a good flow going :D
The cake is a lie.