Pathfinder Group: Details and Voicing Interest

Poog say Zargonel is the best...
Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Pathfinder Group: Details and Voicing Interest

Post by Xelissa » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:46 am

EDIT: TL;DR
I feel like tally's wall of text may have scared people a little... here's a short version:

Wanna play Pathfinder (it's pretty much D&D) over the internet with Tally or me as DM? If you're interested, post here and we'll work on details together!

<3 Tyler
Hey everyone. Long story short, I've become very interested in the Pathfinder RPG - so much so, that Tyler and I are planning on running a full adventure path. We thought that some of you might be interested in joining us, so in this post you can learn the details about our plans and voice interest if you want to join in!

What is Pathfinder?
The Pathfinder RPG by Paizo is based off of D&D 3.5 Edition. D&D 3rd Edition had an Open Game License (OGL), meaning that most of the rules information was readily available and people were free to build off of it. Paizo did this, and came up with Pathfinder.

What's the difference between Pathfinder and D&D 4th Edition?
From a rules standpoint, the simplest way to think about it is that D&D 4th Edition changed a bunch of crap from 3.5. For example, they added in the four roles for classes and powers for all classes. It kind of puts all the heroes on a similar playing field and makes them play much more similarly. Skills were simplified (e.g. there's no UMD or Disable Device anymore). Pathfinder on the other hand embraced the complexity of 3.5 and streamlined it. For example, classes are still very different from each other (e.g. martial fighters are all about their feats still, not powers). Skills are much more similar to what they were in 3.5.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, but I love the complexity of Pathfinder. It takes more time to learn, but there's a lot more customization you can do. Paizo also writes amazing full Adventure Paths for purchase so you don't have to make your adventures from scratch, which is think is awesome. AND since it has an OGL, you guys don't have to buy anything to get access to all the rules! Unlike <cough, cough> some OTHER RPG companies <cough, cough>.

What do I need to learn to play?
Basically, you don't need anything. As I said, Pathfinder has an OGL, so the rules are readily available HERE: http://paizo.com/prd/

Now, this has all the rules and details, but it certainly doesn't guide you through every step gently. If you want a book that can do that, you can get the Core Handbook. I linked the Amazon page there, but you can find this pretty much everywhere. If you're familiar at all with D&D, this basically combines the Players Handbook with the DM (or GM, for Pathfinder) Guide into one 600 page hardcover book.

Now, the Pathfinder PRD can be a little daunting. Tyler or I will be posting another forum post hopefully in the next week that rounds up a lot of the stuff that we think will help you learn the game. We're still learning, too!

How are we going to play?
We'll be using a virtual tabletop - I believe Tyler is recommending rptools. More details to follow.

When is this going to happen, and how often?
It will probably be at least a week and a half until Tyler and I can get things moving on this. First we'll have to get information distributed, then we're hoping to set up optional one-on-one character creation sessions for people who want help making characters, THEN we can schedule a day to start. I'm hoping to meet maybe once a week - more if people like it a lot.

What commitments do I have to make to be involved with this?
1) You will have to spend some time to learn the basic rules (you can get started on the PRD on your own, OR wait until we post a more guided intro)
2) You will have to make a character OR you can take a pre-generated character but you will have to spend some time learning what most of the stuff means on your character sheet. Don't worry - Tyler and I are happy to help with making characters!
3) Be willing to meet on a weekly basis or so. I'm planning on running a demo adventure so people can feel the game out, and I can work out the kinks of GMing. If people aren't feeling it, they're free to drop out after this first session. After this session, though, I'm planning on running the full Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path (This is 400+ pages long). This takes PCs from level 1-20, so if you're not going to be able to make a bunch of the sessions, it's really going to screw up the balance of the game, and make a whole lot of work for me. I'm not expecting everyone to make every session, but once we start the Adventure Path, I'd like a fairly consistent group.

Whew, that's it for now. Let me know if you guys are interested or have any questions. I'm excited to play!

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:45 am

IT WILL BE FUN!!! JOIN USSSSSSSSSS

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Thu Nov 28, 2013 1:08 pm

PLEEEEEEEASE JOIIIIINN!!!! I know it looks daunting, but I will teach you!!

Gurgalicious
protection warrior

Post by Gurgalicious » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:14 pm

Is it possible to be a sexy illusionist or thief :3?

WILL I GET TO ROLL MAH D12 AND SEDUCE MY WAY OUT OF SITUATIONS!?

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:55 pm

yes, and yes

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:14 pm

I feel like tally's wall of text may have scared people a little... here's a short version:

Wanna play Pathfinder (it's pretty much D&D) over the internet with Tally or me as DM? If you're interested, post here and we'll work on details together!

<3

Albedo
set feyzors to stun

Post by Albedo » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm totes magotes in. But I need to read the wall of text etc. I am excite!
The cake is a lie.

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:42 pm

yayayyyyy!!! <3

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm in. How soon do we need a character?

Michelle
protection warrior

Post by Michelle » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:58 pm

FINE I WILL GIVE IT A SHOT.

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:22 pm

We're not nailed down yet on the timeline. No sooner than 2-3 weeks.

Michelle
protection warrior

Post by Michelle » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:45 pm

Can I bring someone with me? His name is Mike. I think he knows what he's doing.

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:59 am

@Michelle: Hold off for a little bit. I'm not sure exactly how many people we're getting yet, and I'd like to give Underpowered people priority.

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:58 am

I sent an email to Tally, but I wanted to say in here:

I'm VERY interested in RP as you know and I've never been able to be a part of Pathfinder even though I have a ton of interest in it! That said, I don't think that at the moment I'm able to make a weekly commitment like this. Tom and I have huge things on the horizon (moving into DC finally! and all that that entails) and my December concert season is just starting so I think it's probably not a good idea.

That said, I am 100% interested in running NPCs or villains that need a driver or whatever for the DM on days that I could be around, so let me know if you need that.

Jax
Worst Luck Ever with Video Games

Post by Jax » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:58 pm

I'm kind of interested but hesitating for the reasons Matt said. I'm not moving anytime soon but I have a lot of stuff coming up in the evenings between now and the end of January and I just don't know if I should commit. Also I have never played any sort of PnP RPG before - which you guys are awesome about - but I still am concerned that I won't "get it." So I am still thinking about it. Sorry to be so non-committal. :?