Making Your Character: FAQ and House Rules for Campaign

Poog say Zargonel is the best...
Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Making Your Character: FAQ and House Rules for Campaign

Post by Xelissa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:56 pm

Only take a look at this when you're ready to start making your character for our Pathfinder sessions. I'll be using "campaign" to refer to both our planned campaign (Rise of the Runelords) as well as our intro demo session and any other session that might be added on.

Tyler or I will be adding things to this over time as questions come up.

Terms/Acronyms
APG = Advanced Player's Guide
NPC = Non-Player Character
PC = Player Character

{{ BASIC QUESTIONS }}

1) Which way should I generate ability scores for my character?
a. We are using the "Standard" method of rolling ability scores (4d6, drop lowest, add 3 highest; repeat 5 times):

Roll 4d6, discard the lowest die result, and add the three remaining results together.
Record this total and repeat the process until six numbers are generated.
Assign these totals to your ability scores as you see fit.
This method is less random than Classic and tends to create characters with above-average ability scores
. (From Pathfinder PRD)

b. We are additionally using a common house rule of "Scrap Low Sets."

After rolling ALL ability scores, IF:
1) Your highest ability score is 13 or lower
OR
2) When you add ALL your ability modifiers (positive and negative) they add up to 2 or lower:
You may reroll all your abilities from scratch again.

I may have told Tyler and Terry I had a different system; please use this one instead!

Note: This is an honor-based system. I'm not going to watch your dice rolls, obviously. Just be honest!

2) What races/classes can I pick for our campaign?
a. Classes:
* Any of the core classes (barbarian, bard, cleric, druid, fighter, monk, paladin, ranger, rogue, sorcerer, wizard).
* Any of the APG classes (alchemist, inquisitor, cavalier, oracle, summoner, or witch).
If you want to be another class (such as the ones detailed in Ultimate Magic and Ultimate Combat), come talk to me. I haven't looked into them much, so if people are interested, I'll need to read up on them to make sure they are balanced.

b. Races
* Any of the core races (Dwaves, Elves, Gnomes, Half-Elves, Half-Orcs, Halflings, or Humans)
If you want to be a Featured or Uncommon Race, come talk to me. Some of these races are just too OP to be in an campaign with core races (it wouldn't be fair to the other players). Some of them are fine, however - but again, we'll need to talk about it. Also, you'll need a damn good RP reason that your character is adventuring with all these core races.

3) What rulebooks do I have access to when making my character? (e.g. Feats, Skills, Spells, etc.)
Everything from the Core Rulebook and everything from the APG should be good as far as Feats, Spells, etc. goes. If you find a spell or something you really want from another book or the paizo blog, shoot me an email and we can talk about it. Chances are I'll okay it.

4) How many traits can I choose when making my character, and what are the restrictions?
PCs for our campaign will be granted the standard two trait points. These traits will be used to pick two extra traits that are not automatically granted by the character's race or class.

a. The FIRST trait MUST be picked from the Rise of the Runelords Campaign Trait List (free .pdf download in link)! That trait gives your character a reason to be on the adventure and usually contains bonuses that are useful to the campaign!
b. The SECOND trait can be any of the traits from this list, so long as you meet the requirements: Trait List.
Last edited by Xelissa on Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:54 pm, edited 10 times in total.

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:58 pm

{{ FANCY QUESTIONS }}
(If you don't understand what these mean, don't sweat it; but some people might want to know)

1) May I use Alternate Racial Rules (found in the APG)?
Yes, this should be okay (so Tyler, go ahead with what you were saying); HOWEVER, Please let me know in case there's an error, or one of the alt racial traits just seems too imba for the campaign. Send me an email that's like: "Hey, Tally; I swapped my human's "skilled" trait for the "child of the fields" trait. That cool?"

2) May I use the Racial Favored Class Options (found in the APG)?
As above, yes this is probably okay, but again, let me know. Tell me which favored class option you're picking so I can okay it.
Last edited by Xelissa on Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:05 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Xelissa
GM of DOOM!!

Post by Xelissa » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Reserved -- for maybe SUPER FANCY QUESTIONS???????!!!