I'm in! What now?

Poog say Zargonel is the best...
moui
card carrying atheist

I'm in! What now?

Post by moui » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:09 pm

Guys, hopefully we're all on for the 20th. What do you need to do before then?

1. Make your character:

Remember that Tally and I are both happy to help you. If you want some time with one of us, just ask via the forums or facebook.

YOU MUST SEND A FINISHED CHARACTER SHEET TO THE GM NO LATER THAN 2 DAYS PRIOR TO OUR FIRST SESSION (i.e. no later than 12/18 save any changes). If you don't, you can't play!

What "finished" means, at minimum:

A: Ability scores finalized (requires race be finalized)
B: Skill points distributed (requires level 1 class and favored class bonus be chosen)
C: Starting gold calculated, starting equipment purchased
D: Spells. If you are a class that does not need to prepare spells (e.g. bard or sorcerer) you must choose what spells you want to learn. If you are a class who preps spells (e.g., wizard or cleric), there is no permanent decision to make, but you should decide what spells you want to have prepared prior to our first session.
E: Character basics, i.e. you should know how your character is going to act in certain situations. Is (s)he good, neutral, evil? Lawful, chaotic, or neither? What are her values? What does she do for fun? Etc.

2. Know the basics of how to play:

You can also ask Tally or I for a basic tutorial on the rules if you're not feeling confident. I highly recommend you do this if you've never played a pen and paper RPG before. You should have a basic idea of how the following things work:

A: Making out of combat decisions. Try to think about what things you can do if you're in a room in a dungeon, or the town inn, or whatever. You don't want to be standing around waiting for someone else to decide what to do!
B: Skill checks. If the GM asks you to "roll your diplomacy" or "check your perception" you should know how to do so (hint: 1d20+skill bonus)
C: Combat. This is actually one of the simpler things, but there are some terms and basic things you need to know. The fancier stuff you can learn on the fly.
Ci: Initiative. You need to have your initiative bonus written down. This will determine when you get to take your turn each round. The GM will ask you to roll for initiative, and you will need to roll 1d20 and add your initiative bonus, and then say, "I rolled X!" (X = 1d20 + initiative bonus).
Cii: A turn in combat. Each player can take 1 standard action and 1 move action, as well as a free action. You should know what basic actions your character has access to (e.g., attack with my halbard, load my crossbow) and your character's speed.
Ciii: Attack bonus and damage roll. This is determined by your ability score, feats, character level, class, and weapon.

I WILL BE MAD IF YOU SHOW UP AND CLEARLY HAVEN'T TRIED TO LEARN TO PLAY. It's fine, of course, if you're a little hazy on something here and there, or you forget things, but if you clearly put no effort in (I can tell, I'm a teacher) I will put you in detention.

I might have missed something so stay tuned!
Last edited by moui on Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:09 pm

CHECKING IN!

Let's check in with each other! This can be used to help clear up any confusion and help you complete the stuff I've asked you to do in the previous post, as well as to communicate with each other about our skills, spells, and feats, so that we can cover our bases and not have unnecessary overlap.

Please try to make one of these times:

Times:
Wed. 12/11: 7PM EST to 8PM EST
Thu. 12/12: 10PM EST to 11PM EST

If you can't make any of these times, please let me or Tally know so we can discuss the same stuff separately.

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:21 pm

PLAYER STATUS
Greg: 12/12
Lydia: 12/12
Matt: 12/12
Michelle: 12/12
Rory: both, hopeful
Terry: 12/11
Tyler: attending both sessions
Last edited by moui on Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:37 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Albedo
set feyzors to stun

Post by Albedo » Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:47 pm

i should be around for both of those times though maybe not the full time on the 12th because bed time.
The cake is a lie.

Michelle
protection warrior

Post by Michelle » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:39 pm

I can do the 12th :)

Gurgalicious
protection warrior

Post by Gurgalicious » Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:00 pm

I should be able to do the 12th :)!

bluexy
BATMEOWN

Post by bluexy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:42 pm

i'll try to make both.

RabidChinaGirl
feral druid

Post by RabidChinaGirl » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:04 pm

I can try to make both. Will try to confirm for one for sure later.

moui
card carrying atheist

Post by moui » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:36 pm

ty for the responses! excited =]

<3

manekineko
Drunken Kodály Master

Post by manekineko » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:42 am

I can make it on Thursday :)

RabidChinaGirl
feral druid

Post by RabidChinaGirl » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:44 pm

Confirm me for the 12th, please. I'll try to show up today anyway 'cause I need a lot of help with my sheet, but tomorrow is a sure thing.

Jax
Worst Luck Ever with Video Games

Post by Jax » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:01 pm

I'll be around tomorrow night!